Gamer Theory | Forum

smashthegamestate Apr 30 '16

Gamer Theory is an update/response to another author's book of critical theory about video games.

https:///...of-warks-gamer-theor

My book is divided into two parts. The first part is a point-by-point response to McKenzie Wark's excellent Gamer Theory (2007, Harvard University Press). The second part offers an expanded definition of Gamer Theory, complete with suggestions for ways the reader can think critically about gaming and still enjoy the hell out of it.

As I see it, Wark's concept of the "gamespace" is an application of the Situationist International's ideas of psychogeography, detournement, and recuperation to modern video games. Since 2007, the gaming world has undergone a number of significant changes. If Gamer Theory is to avoid obsolescence, it must address the current issues affecting the gaming world and the gamespace.

What makes me qualified to write this book? I'm a published freelance journalist with training in literary critical theory and media theory. I write for smashthegamestate.com and gamemoir.com. I've got a Literature degree. Games and words are my two favorite things.

smashthegamestate Apr 30 '16

If you have a game that you would like to see in the book, please put it in the comments. This is a great way to get unknown indie games visibility. For instance, my book will cover little known gems like Battlesloths.